Accounting: EDD Reporting Requirements

EDD administers Unemployment Insurance, State Disability and Paid Family Leave Benefits.  Under California law, you are required to report or notify EDD of certain information or events.


Below are required forms:

  •         Report of New Employee(s) (DE 34)
  •         Report of Independent Contractor(s) (DE 542)
  •         Payroll Tax Deposit (DE88)
  •         Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages (DE 9)
  •         Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages (continuation) (DE 9C)


Filing accurate and timely forms also assists the California Department of Child Support Services and the Department of Justice in the location of delinquent child support obligations.


The Report of New Employee(s) (DE 34) is required to be filed within twenty (20) days of the employee’s start date.  If a terminated/ex-employee is rehired after 60 days since separation, you must report them on the New Employee form.


Most payroll services prepare and submit forms DE34, DE88, DE9, and DE9C on behalf of their clients but employers are responsible for Contractors form DE542.


Also, if you employ Household workers, you are required to fill forms:

  •       Employer of Household Worker(s) Quarterly Report of Wages and Withholdings (DE 3BHW)
  •       Employer of Household Worker(s) Annual Payroll Tax Return (DE 3HW)

          You must pay your payroll taxes with form DE 3HW



This information is located on the EDD website  If you would like more information about due dates, penalties or how to file forms, go to

Looking For More?


Silicon Valley Accounting Solutions produces the Solution of the Week in order to share tips and shortcuts that promote process efficiency and highlight software features that may not be in your current toolbox. Please let us know if you have questions on how to accomplish a particular task or if you simply have a comment to share.

Even if you find that you know most of what you see here, it only takes one “Aha” to make regular visits worthwhile. To avoid missing any solutions, you may subscribe and have a new one delivered to your inbox each week.

Contact Us

We want to help you grow
your business, call us
at: (408) 260-5250 or
find out more here.


When you need:
  • Clear processes for cash controls
  • Analysis of results
  • Customized reporting


When you need:
  • Timely and accurate bookkeeping
  • Reconciliations and monthly closes
  • Familiarity with popular accounting software
Web Analytics