QuickBooks: Creating & Restoring Backup File
Backing up your QuickBooks file regularly protects your accounting records against a loss.
To manually backup your company file, follow these steps:
- From the File menu, Choose ‘Create Backup’
- In older versions, select ‘Make Copy or Backup’, check ‘Backup copy’ and click ‘Next’
- Check whether you want to use the Intuit’s online service or choose Local. Click ‘Next’.
- Click the Browse button and indicate the location on your server for the backup
- Click ‘OK’
- Check to ‘Save it now’ button and then click ‘Next’
- A window will open with the location of the file, here you can rename the file and save it.
The different types of backups
- Backup copy – is used to create a duplicate copy of your QuickBooks file
- Portable company file – is a condensed copy of your file for easy e-mailing or transfer to mobile devices.
- Accountant’s Copy – is designed for sharing with your accountant while you still need to work in your file. It lets the accountant make adjustments to prior periods that can later be imported back to your working file.
To restore your backup complete the following steps:
- From the File menu, Choose ‘Open or Restore Company’
- Select ‘Restore a backup copy’ and click ‘Next’
- Select whether the backup is located on the Local or Online backup (our example below uses the Local option) and click ‘Next’
- Select the backup file and hit the ‘Open’ button
- It will ask you where you would like to restore the file, read the information and click ‘Next’
- Choose the location to save the restored copy and click ‘Save’
- Click ‘OK’